Grey Sauble Forestry Service
Our staff are experienced, certified and licenced to provide services that benefit you and your property.
Saturday May 13, 2023 from 8 am - noon at the Grey Sauble Admin Centre (237897 Inglis Falls Road, Owen Sound)
Tree and seedling species will be subject to availability. LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE.
Do you have idle land that you are not using and are not sure what to do with it? Why not plant trees? GSCA is looking to transform marginal or idle lands into beautiful forests and have planted over 4 million trees since 1984.
Our trained staff have extensive experience preparing and executing tree planting plans across our watershed.
We offer a full-service program that includes:
- Free site assessments and technical support
- Customized tree planting plans tailored to your property and your goals and objectives
- Cost estimates and analysis
- Tree planting and tending services
- Ordering and handling of the trees
- Site preparation
- Survival Assessments
Our plans are developed to meet the program requirements of Forests Ontario’s 50 Million Tree Program. We are also a Planting Delivery Agent (PDA). As such, we can access substantial subsidies/grants that can reduce the cost to you, the landowner, by up to 90%. To qualify for these grants, landowners must:
- have at least 0.4 hectares (1.0 acres) of open land;
- Order a minimum of 1,000 trees; and
- Agree to reasonably protect the trees from damage.
- There are many reasons to plant trees and maintain forests on your property, which include:
- Enhanced wildlife habitat
- Wind, noise and visual breaks
- Reduced erosion
- Reduced heating and cooling costs of your home
- Increased crop yields (through windrows)
- Tax incentive programs
- Improved soil, water and environmental health
- Increased recreational opportunities
- Aesthetic beauty
- Increased property values
- Wood products such as firewood, lumber, maple syrup, and nuts
The Province of Ontario, through the Ministry of Natural Resource and Forestry (MNRF), offers a 75% reduction in property taxes for landowners with at least 4 hectares (9.88 acres) of forested land on their property. GSCA has staff who are trained and obtained their Managed Forest Plan Approver designation. We can assist you in developing a property-specific Managed Forest (Stewardship) Plan and submitting it to the MNRF for approval. The application deadline is June 30th each year.
Each plan will describe applicable legislation and laws, past activities and history, your goals and objectives for the property, a description of each unique area on the property and the planned activities over the next 10 years. Within each plan, our staff will provide expert advice to reach your goals and objectives. This may include:
- Planting trees in open areas to expand and grow the forest.
- Removing invasive species from the property to restore native plants and trees.
- Identifying wildlife habitat projects and monitoring.
- Creating and maintaining recreational trails.
- Managing plantations to restore mixed hardwood forests.
- Commercial timber harvests following Good Forestry Practices.
In the fifth year of the plan, the landowner is required to submit a 5-year Progress Report and Report of Activities to MNRF. In the Progress Report, landowners will indicate what they had planned to do and how these are progressing.
Even though the program is named the Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program, landowners do not need to harvest trees to qualify for the program. Many individuals choose to maintain trails, view wildlife, spend time outdoors on the property, and use their properties for recreational activities. All of these are acceptable activities under the Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program. If harvesting is an objective of a landowner, it must be down in a sustainable manner that follows all laws and regulations. Diameter-limit (circumference-limit) harvesting is not allowed in the Program, as it has been proven that it is not sustainable practice.
Our Landscape and Seedling order form makes it easy to purchase high-quality trees that will provide you with numerous benefits for years to come!
2023 Tree and Seedling Pre Orders are now closed. Please see the information above about our Tree Sale on Saturday May 13, 2023.
For more information about what trees to purchase, please read the "Choosing the Right Tree for your Site" Guide.