Visitors that travel out of bounds or enter the property beyond the hours of operation will be prosecuted. Access to the base of the falls, standing on the top of the falls and travelling beyond fence barriers, is STRICTLY prohibited at all times.
***Eugenia Falls is now closed for the season***
Grey Sauble Conservation Authority is in the process of developing a Management Plan for the Eugenia Falls Conservation Area. This Plan will guide the management of this property over the next 10 to 20 years. Submit your input here.
The tallest waterfall in the area falls from the edge of the Niagara Escarpment 30 metres to the bottom of the cuckoo valley.
This was discovered in 1852 where Eugenia Falls was the scene of “Fools Gold” rush. Later it became the location of five mills and a small private electric plant and by 1905, was the chosen site of the second hydroelectric plant in Ontario. In 1915, Ontario Hydro moved the plant to the north and created Lake Eugenia, allowing more control over the water levels.
The waterfall was called Eugenia following a suggestion from some ex-soldiers of the French Army (Crimean War) working with Charles Rankin surveying the former Artemesia Township. They suggested that the waterfall be named after Princess Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III.