Bruce’s Caves was named after a remittance man by the name of Robert Bruce that emigrated from Orkney Islands, Scotland during the outbreak of the Crimean War. He was a very quite man that never married.
When he first arrived in Canada, Robert settled in Keppel Township in the woods near the present town of Wiarton. In the early years he worked at railway construction in the summer, always returning to live in what in now as Bruce’s Caves. During the winter months, he would pay board to stay at the local jail. In the later years, Robert built a home and lived in it during the winter instead of living at the jail. Possessing about 300 acres of land, he had several thousand dollars in an Owen Sound bank.
Robert died January 24, 1908 at the age of 84 years old. In Robert’s shanty, they found a trunk with a fine blue broadcloth suit made by a Glasgow tailor, over fifty years ago. Robert was buried in this suit at the Oxenden Cemetery. The property was willed to a gentleman that was living on the farm at that time.
Latitude: 44.76862° North,
Longitude: -81.0851° West,
UTM X Easting: 493268.7254,
Y Northing: 4957250.458
Visit Our Parking Page for Payment Information